Friday, July 19, 2013

Day five July 19 2013

Woke up in the morning with some  great breakfast provided by white Swan students and Dr.Black.

I went out to do some forestry work. Joe Welke and Jason R Fisher Dishwellte National forest rangers, taught us how to work out on public trails and how to put up a sign to warn people about leaving no trace behind. 

The trail which was about a mile away needed to be cleaned up to allow people to pass by with ease . If we encountered any branches or trees on the pathway we would cut them off. At the end of the trail was an amazing view of a lake. When we got there we decided to have a lunch break. It was great having lunch there at that sight but there was one problem. I did not have my lunch. So I had to walk/jog a mile to the van and back. I also wanted to go for a swim so I had various reasons to return. 

When we were working on the sign prior to having lunch I got the opportunity to speak with Jason about his background education. I was able to relate to him when he spoke about not having a social life because of work in the summer time to pay off for school. He said he was majoring in environmental science. I was majoring in environmental science as well but I changed my degree to environmental studies. 

I also had the opportunity to speak with Joe. If I could remember, I think he said he was a volunteer/recruiter for trail work. He spoke to me about his career path and his years of service in the forest. We also had some fun speaking Spanish. He was good at speaking the language.  I'm thankful for the time these two gentle men allowed us students to work and learn about there job.

Night time arrives as I head over to sleep I decide to camp out for a bit with my classmates. We set out a fire pit and had marshmallows with gram crackers accompanied with a Hershey bar. I hardly eat this type of junk food, but boy was it good!!! We sat around the fire and told stories about or past lives and played a couple of games. 

I enjoy camping. Though I'm having trouble sleeping at night because I get cold.  I have to wake up in the middle of the night because my feet get cold and my nose as well. Haha, but other than that I'm getting used to it and im having fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment