Sunday, July 21, 2013

Day seven July 21, 2013

We are up early in the morning and I didn't wake up so cold. My tent was very wet from the outside because of the condensation.
Today we met with Jim Harbeck- supervisor for nation tribe field office, "Department of  fisheries. and Peter Cleary- Project leader-fisheries Biologist, and zoologist. They showed us there working environment at Nez Perce Fisheries and how they catch fish and tag them to monitor their travel rates. When they take the fish out the water they apply antibiotics to keep the Salmon in good health. Mountains near Lostine river provide year long water due to snow, which is great for salmon because they love to be in cold water. Jim talked about Chief Joseph and how he was important to the region because he was always giving to his people and he knew were his people congregated were the fish were at. Jim mentioned that Spring Shinuke is an endangered specie and that their numbers are decreasing yearly. He also mentioned that in 1999 13 salmon were caught. Not good. Then 2011 came around and there numbers increased to 3 thousand Salmon.
Peter Cleary monitors returned Salmon and radio tags fish with an antenna. Fishes caught at there hatchery range from 10, 15 to 20 pounds there three different ages groups most are juvenile. Signal tags are added to the fish to trace back. The Signal tags as I mentioned monitors diversions, keeps track of fish speed and habitats to learn more about the behavior of Salomon fish . When fish are found dead antennas are easily traced. They catch the fish using hydraulic weir up the river as the hit the fence they come up to a ladder up a fike. I thought it was very interesting how they do there best to monitor accurate populations of Salmon. It was a great place to stop and learn about the fish in the community. 
After our visit to Nez Perce we went on a swim. I had a great time in the water with this hot weather. We we got back to our camp site food was ready. I ate elk, salmon, buffalo with a side of salad. I enjoyed my lunch I never had buffalo before or elk so it was great to taste for the first time. 
We had a guest speaker in the afternoon named Emer Crow. He shared some stories with us and shared his lamprey display along with some other tools. Elmer is very crafty and talented. I wish I could built my own tools by hand like knifes, arrows, spares, bracelets, ear rings with accessories. He was an inspiring speaker and very wise. 
 Well folks I'm getting cold no more sun :(  temperatures are dropping I'm going to bed since we have to be up by 7:00 a.m. and leaving this camp site by 8 a.m. I'm very tired and I hope I can sleep.     

No comments:

Post a Comment